Recipe: No-Added Fat Vegan Chocolate Cake
What can I say? My mouth's watering and I can't wait to make this myself.
Ingredients for vegan chocolate cake
- 300g of organic wholemeal flour
- 60g of 10-12% fat - organic cocoa powder OR use 30g organic cocoa powder & 30g organic carob powder
- 60g of organic coconut palm sugar OR use or 30g Lucuma Powder + 30g Red Ecuadorian Banana Powder
- 2 teaspoons of bicarbonate soda
- 300g egg replacer – choose from the following options:
- a. St. Dalfour Sugar Free Jam or other sugar-free jam
- b. Soya yoghurt - natural or flavoured
- c. Pureed fruit e.g. prunes, apples, bananas
- d. Smoothie - thick and any flavour
- 250ml of plant milk - soya, oat, hemp, coconut, nut etc. - I used ‘Oatly Organic Oat Drink’
- 2 tablespoons of organic cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of pink Himalayan salt (optional)
How to make vegan chocolate cake
- Heat oven to Gas Mark 5
- Pour the wholemeal flour into mixing bowl
- Sieve all other dry ingredients and combine with flour in mixing bowl, stirring well
- In a jug, mix together the cider vinegar, egg replacer, plant milk, and vanilla essence
- Add the contents of the jug to the dry ingredients, stir and mix well
- Pour into cake tin
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes
Ingredients for vegan chocolate fudge topping
- 150g of Sweet Freedom OR maple syrup, agave syrup, date syrup, malt extract etc.
- 70g of organic 10-12% fat cocoa powder OR use 50/50 cocoa powder & carob powder
How to make vegan chocolate fudge topping
- Pour the syrup into a jug
- Sieve the cocoa powder into the jug
- Stir and mix well until a creamy fudge consistency is achieved - it may take a couple of minutes – keep stirring!
- Add more syrup or a small amount of plant milk if required
- Spread evenly on the top of the cake
- EAT & ENJOY!
Recipe and photo courtesy of Neil Robson.