Oil: yay or nay?
Why is there so much talk about oil?
In recent years, there's been a lot of talk about cooking with oil and whether it's necessary or not. It's made such an impact that companies are introducing pans with which we can do oil-free cooking. You read right! Not just less oil, but no oil! These companies make the promise that the food will cook well, the pan won't burn and it will be easy to wash afterwards.
The depth and 'technical' details about the pros, but mostly cons, will be mindblowing for many. So without focusing on too much detail, here are some points to consider:-
- We should avoid frying because it negatively changes the molecular structure of foods
- Cooking oil is processed, unnatural and not needed by the body
- We can get the fat we need by consuming foods, such as, nuts, avocados and seeds
- If you can't do without using oil, use a little, and cook using a low temperature
- It would be better to sauté (fry quickly) and do this using water or tomato juice instead of oil
- Grilling, baking and steaming are good alternatives to frying
- Oil should never be used, ‘saved’ and re-used