Recipe: Sweetcorn Shaak (curry) and rice within 30 minutes
This is one of my favourite dishes.
It doesn't take long to make and it's full of flavour and texture.
This recipe serves 2.
Ingredients for sweetcorn Shaak
• 1/2 a tablespoon of coconut oil
• 2 tomatoes – diced
• 1 fresh chilli – finely chopped
• 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
• 1/2 a teaspoon of mustard seeds
• 2 sweet neem leaves
• a pinch of asafetida
• sweetcorn - frozen or a 340g tin
• 1 teaspoon of dried coriander powder
• less than 1/4 of a teaspoon of turmeric
• salt to taste
• a tablespoon of lemon juice
• 1 handful of freshly chopped coriander
• a handful of raw red skin peanut kernels – about 30g
Ingredients for the rice
• a small teacup of brown rice
• 2 & 3/4 teacups of fresh water
How to make the Shaak
1. Heat the oil in a pan, and add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, sweet neem leaves and asafetida when it’s hot
2. Put the lid on and wait until the seeds begin to pop
3. When the silence in between pops is longer, add raw peanuts, chilli and tomatoes and put the lid back on the pan – don’t be alarmed if it sizzles
4. After a 2 minutes add the sweetcorn, salt, dried coriander powder and turmeric
5. Taste it after it’s cooked for another 5 minutes and add the lemon juice if desired
6. Finally, garnish with freshly chopped coriander
How to make the rice
1. Wash the rice, drain the water and put the rice in a pan
2. Add 2 & 3/4 teacups of fresh water and leave it to cook on a high heat, keeping the lid off the pan
3. When it begins to froth, place the lid on the pan, reduce the heat to its lowest setting and leave it for 20 minutes
4. Keeping the lid on the pan, tilt the pan with the rice in it, to see if there's any water left in it - if there's a little left, cook it for another 5 minutes, otherwise turn it off
To serve, spread the rice across the plate to create a circle with a hole in the middle, where you can put the sweetcorn and enjoy
Put the rice in a bowl/cup and then tip it upside down on the plate, to create a mound of rice.
Place the mound on one side of the plate or in the centre and place the sweetcorn around it.
To mix it up a bit, add 1 teaspoon of desiccated coconut to the sweetcorn, 5 minutes before serving it.