This dessert melts in your mouth!
I made them for a family get together and was asked if they were vegan. :) I took that as a compliment, because those who didn't follow a plant-based diet, were suddenly impressed by, and interested in, the recipe.
This recipe creates about 12 small pieces, less if you cut them to a bigger size.
Ingredients for vegan pista barfi
- 100g of creamed coconut
- 150g coarsely ground pistachios
- 50g of golden syrup
- 1/4 of a teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 1/2 of a teaspoon of cardamom powder
- A cup of flaked almonds, whole pistachio nuts or pieces of dried fruit
How to make vegan pista barfi
- Melt the creamed coconut by placing it in a bowl on top of a pan of hot water i.e. not in the water itself - I keep it in the plastic packaging
- Put the ground pistachios, golden syrup, vanilla essence and cardamom powder in a blender and blend
- Once the the creamed coconut has softened/melted, add it to the blender and quickly blend all the ingredients together - if you aren't quick, it will begin to solidify again
- Pour the mixture into a mould, lined with cling film - I used a plastic take away container
- Decorate the mixture with flaked almonds, whole pistachio nuts or pieces of dried fruit
- Leave it to cool for 10 - 20 minutes
- Place it in the fridge for 30 minutes
- Remove it from the fridge and use the cling film to lift the piece out of the container
- Take the piece off the cling film and cut to size
Recipe initially developed by Anabel Zalvidar
Photo courtesy of Sagar Shah.