This Shaak is simple, filling and quick to make. It involves minimal preparation and tastes delicious.
This recipe serves 2.
Ingredients for butter beans Shaak
• 1 (240g) can of butter beans or use dried butter beans which would need to be soaked for 12 hours, the water drained and then boiled in fresh water
• 2 tomatoes - blended
• 1 fresh chilli – blended
• 3/4 of a tablespoon of sunflower oil or olive oil
• 1/2 a teaspoon of mustard seeds
• 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
• 2 sweet neem leaves
• 1 pinch of asafetida
• 1 pinch of turmeric powder
• salt to taste
• 1 teaspoon of dried coriander powder
• 1 handful of freshly chopped coriander
• 6 wholemeal mini wraps
How to make butter beans Shaak
1. Heat the oil in a pan and then add the mustard seeds, cumin, sweet neem leaves and asafetida
2. After the seeds have popped add the tomatoes and chilli
3. After a 2 minutes, add the butter beans, turmeric powder, salt and dried coriander powder
4. After 3 minutes add the chopped coriander, stir and let it cook for 5 - 7 minutes
5. Fold each mini wraps in half and serve the butter beans alongside it
We enjoyed this with mini wraps. It can also be eaten with rice or Rotli.