Most things, are exposed to accurate and inaccurate commonly held beliefs, misrepresentations, myths and assumptions. Following a plant-based diet it not excluded from this.
Some of the myths, assumptions and common beliefs about vegans
- Vegan food is healthy
- Vegans are healthy
- Vegans look pale and undernourished
- Vegans can't grow their nails
- Vegans don't get what they need through their diet and must take supplements
- Vegans don't have the stamina to do physical activities that others do
Vegan myths debunked
- You can get unhealthy vegan food
- Not all vegans are healthy
- There is a term called junk food vegan, so that wouldn't be healthy
- I don't know any vegan who looks pale and undernourished
- I like long nails and they grow just fine
- I know of many people who take supplements and they are not exclusive to those who follow a vegan diet
- I know people who follow a vegan diet and don't take any supplements and they are happy and healthy
- The myth about stamina is addressed in the clip below
This footage shows that there's no cap on what vegans can do! Do you know many people who can do the 5 things shown below AND more? Well...Fiona Oakes has done and continues to do all of these and more! :)
- A fire-fighter
- On call 24/7
- Marathon winner
- Ran 22 marathons
More about this film...
The entire film lasts 30 minutes. It explores the benefits of being vegan. Some of these are: -
- an exciting lifestyle
- eating delicious food
- consuming healthy food
- tackling the ethics behind making this shift
- global challenges that we face now and in the future.
It was produced by The Vegan Society.
Will you make the connection and become part of the solution?
“People eat meat and think they will become as strong as an ox, forgetting that the ox eats grass." Pino Caruso