I am happy to tell you that I am now a 'Vegetarian and Vegan Nutritional Therapy Practitioner.' Find out how I can help you better…Read More
Filtering by Tag: iron
Find out why I made the decision to become a qualified Nutritional Practitioner and how I think it will help you...Read More
There's a lot of confusion about whether we need to take any supplements, and if we do, which ones should we take, in how much quantity, can they be mixed together, and so on.
I understand why it's a bit of a minefield and urge anyone who's considering buying lots of supplements to seek out some advice first. The aim of being 'better safe than sorry', may actually backfire.Read More
Find out why we need iron, where we get it from, how much we need and what happens if we consume too much.Read More
I am extremely grateful to Stella for sharing how she experienced being a vegan mum who raised her children as vegan, during a time when restaurants and supermarkets weren't as vegan friendly as they are now.Read More
I am grateful to Brenda Davis who has worked with me to openly and accurately respond to common questions about shifting to a vegan diet.
A bit about Brenda: She is a registered dietitian, and she has been a featured speaker at international nutrition, medical and health conferences in over a dozen countries, and she has worked in different fields of nutrition.
Below, Brenda discusses why people go vegan and the benefits of making this shift. She also addresses some of the myths around vegan eating, and the things that we should keep an eye on.Read More
I am excited for you to read this article. In summary, it's about how what we consume affects our health.
Dr. Ashwani Garg has kindly shared how he decided the type of medicine that he wanted to specialise in, the events that led to his discovery of veganism, why he went vegan and the amazingness that followed. This shift in thinking and diet had an impact which he hadn't envisaged. For me, the best part of all of this, is that he has no regrets, and he uses his direct experiences to help so many people attain a better quality of life.Read More
Are you being bombarded by all the would-be 'nutritionists' you know who are concerned about you going, or staying, vegan? Are you worried about the scary information they're sharing, which is a case for, vegan diets resulting in poor health and illness? Do you feel stifled as a result? Don't worry any more. Harpreet (Nutrition graduate) will help debunk some myths, share nutritional facts and make practical suggestions that will bring you peace of mind!Read More
It's funny, as a vegetarian, I didn't get asked about where I source iron from. However, when I shifted to a vegan diet, one of the questions I'd be asked is 'But where do you get your iron from? Don't you need to eat meat for it?' Some of us are comfortable in answering such questions, others don't want to, and for some, they'd like something to help them articulate a response.
Whichever category you fall into, it's worth reading what Gary L. Francione & Anna Charlton have to say about vegans and iron.
But…Will I get enough iron if I don’t eat meat?
We need iron for the formation of blood. Women need more iron than do men and pre-menopausal women, and especially pregnant women, need more than post-menopausal women. Iron is a central part of hemoglobin, which transports oxygen from the lungs to our tissues. It is also a constituent of certain enzymes. Iron is found in two forms, heme iron, which is about 40% of the iron found in meat, poultry, and fish, and non-heme iron, which makes up the other 60% of iron in animal tissue and all the iron in plant foods. Heme iron is more easily absorbed than non-heme iron and this leads some people to fear that a vegan diet will not have enough iron.
Have no fear.
Studies have shown that iron deficiency anaemia is no more common among vegans than among the population generally. Many plant foods are actually higher in iron than animal foods. Spinach has 15.5 mg. of iron per 100 calories; steak has 0.9 mg. per 100 calories. Lentils have 2.9 mg per 100 calories; a pork chop has 0.4 mg per 100 calories. Whole grains, dried fruits, nuts, green leafy vegetables, seeds, and beans are also good plant sources of iron. Moreover, vegan diets tend to be higher in vitamin C, which increases the absorption of non-heme iron.
It is easy to obtain all the iron you need on a vegan diet, whether you are a man, woman (pre- or post-menopausal, or pregnant) or child. Indeed, it is easier to get all the iron you need from plant foods than from animal foods, and you’ll certainly have to consume fewer calories of plant food to get the iron you need.
Link to a book by Gary L. Francione & Anna Charlton: An exploration and rejection of the various excuses — the “Buts” — that keep us eating animal foods.