Of the four items I baked, these cookies were the quickest and easiest to make. I didn't get bored of eating them either! They were crunchy, savoury yet sweet and simply morish!
This recipe makes about 24 cookies.
Ingredients for vegan thumbprint cookies
- 1 cup of ground almonds
- 1 cup of brown rice flour
- 1 ½ cups of raw whole almonds - crushed in a food processor
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ½ cup of coconut oil
- ½ cup of maple syrup
How to make vegan thumbprint cookies
- Preheat the oven to 176 degrees
- Combine all the ingredients (except the jam) in a large bowl
- Create tablespoon-sized balls with the mix
- Space them evenly on a baking tray, which has been lined with greaseproof paper
- They don't expand much so you don't need to leave lots of space around them - about 2 centimetres is fine
- Use your thumb to make an indentation into each cookie
- Bake until the cookies are evenly browned - this will take about 20 minutes
- Let the cookies cool
- Add some jam and enjoy immediately
If you have added the jam and want to eat them later, put them in a container in the fridge. If you are going to add the jam just before eating, keeping them out (room temperature) is fine.
Please note that the original recipe is American. Thus the names of various ingredients are slightly different. I've amended these, where necessary, and listed them by the name that they are known by in England.
Adapted from passports & pancakes