This is a great recipe as it can be adapted and varied in many ways. You can use different vegetables. You can also use different rice e.g. white, brown and wild rice.
This recipe serves 2.
Ingredients for the stir fry and rice
• 3/4 of a cup of rice – white, brown or wild rice
• 2 & 3/4 teacups of water
• 1 carrot – chopped into thin 3 cm strips
• 1 pak choi – separate the leaves
• 150g of tofu – chopped in to bite-size chunks
• 1/2 a red or green pepper – diced
• 1/2 a bunch of broccoli – chopped into bite-size pieces
• 1/2 a teaspoon of coconut oil or sesame oil
• 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
How to make the rice
1. Wash the rice and drain the water
2. Put the rice and 2 & 3/4 teacups of water in a pan on a high heat, with the lid off
3. When it begins to froth, put the lid on the pan, reduce the heat to as low as it can go, and leave it to cook for 20 minutes
4. Keeping the lid on the pan, tilt the pan with the rice in it, to see if there's any water left in it - if there's a little left, cook it for another 5 minutes, otherwise turn it off
How to make the stir fried vegetable
1. Heat the oil in a pan and when the oil's hot, add the tofu, stir gently and wait 3 minutes before adding the carrots and soy sauce
2. Stir gently and put the lid on the pan
3. After 2 minutes add the remaining vegetables and stir
4. Let it cook until it's the texture that you like it to be
5. When the vegetables are ready, put the cooked rice in a bowl/cup and tip it upside down on the plate, to create a mound of rice.
6. Place the mound on one side of the plate, or in the centre, and place the vegetables around the rice.
Spread the rice across the plate to create a circle with a hole in the middle, where you can put the vegetables.
Below, you can see how I've used the same recipe but changed the ingredients a little