Recipe: Vegan Basil Pesto with a twist
I fancied making some pesto myself, rather than, relying on the ready-made stuff. So I had a look at a few recipes and got creative.
This recipe makes enough for 4 servings with pasta.
Ingredients for vegan pesto
- 0.5 cup of Pine nuts
- 1 handful of Brazil nuts
- 1.5 cups of fresh basil
- 0.75 cups of olive oil
- 2 handfuls of whole black peppercorns
- Lemon juice to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1 avocado (optional)
- 3 black olives (optional)
- 1 chilli (optional)
- 1 handful of nutritional yeast (optional)
How to make vegan pesto
- Roast the nuts on low heat, without any oil, for about 3 minutes - they shouldn't be roasted for so long that they become brown - lightly roasting them brings out their flavour
- Blend the nuts, peppercorns, olives, the oil and a little lemon juice until it's the texture you'd like it to be - it's not meant to be smooth like chocolate spread or smooth peanut butter
- Add everything else to the blender and stop blending when it's combined
Points to consider
- If you're going to keep the pesto to use later, drizzle some olive oil over it to keep it green.
- I boiled some spaghetti and put a generous amount of pesto on top of it. I did this so that I could take the amount of spaghetti and pesto that I wanted, rather than, mixing it all together.
- The avocado makes the pesto creamy.
- Many recipes say that any nuts can be used.
- The olives gave it a subtle flavour.
- Adding 1 chilli wasn't enough to make it even near 'hot' but it complimented it.
- The nutritional yeast is considered to be a replacement for parmesan.