Do you need to find ways to consume Vitamin D2 AND Vitamin D3?
In order to avoid boggling your mind, I'm going to start with the conclusion.
Vitamin D3 is better than Vitamin D2, so if you're going to supplement it, make sure you're buying the former.
Why Dr Victoria Logan and colleagues favour Vitamin D3
Dr Victoria Logan and colleagues of the University of Otago in New Zealand have shown that..."not only is vitamin D2 less effective in raising 25(OH)D levels than vitamin D3, but that Drisdol actually lowers 25(OH)D3 levels. That is, when 25(OH)D2 is present in the blood, 25(OH)D3 levels go down."
Why Wolpowitz & Gilchrest say Vitamin D3 is best
- UVB light from the sun strikes the skin, and humans synthesize vitamin D3, so it is the most "natural" form
- Vitamin D3 is the more potent form of vitamin D, which is a potential benefit. For example, obesity tends to lower blood levels of vitamin D, so a more potent form is needed
- Vitamin D3 is more stable on the shelf compared to D2, and is more likely to remain active for a longer period of time and when exposed to different conditions (temperature, humidity, and storage). This is perhaps why the amount of vitamin D2 in certain fortified food products have been significantly lower than that advertised on the label in numerous instances
- Vitamin D3 is more effective at raising and maintaining the vitamin D blood test
- D2 does not circulate as long in the body
Different names for Vitamins D2 and D3
This is just for your information
Vitamin D2 is also known as ergocalciferol
Vitamin D3 is also referred to as cholecalciferol