Recipe: Banana Shaak (curry) within 10 minutes
Making a Shaak from bananas is something that I learned from my father-in-law.It's a quick, savoury and sweet dish which can be enjoyed with wraps, rice, Rotli or even on its own.
This recipe serves 2.
Ingredients for banana Shaak
• 3 bananas – peel the banana and cut into circular pieces
• 2 tomatoes – blended
• 1 fresh chilli - green or red – blended
• 1 tablespoon of olive oil or sunflower oil
• 1/2 a teaspoon of mustard seeds
• 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
• 2 sweet neem leaves
• 1 pinch of asafetida
• 1 pinch of turmeric powder
• salt to taste
• 1 teaspoon of dried coriander powder
• 1 handful of freshly chopped coriander
• 2 large wholemeal wraps
How to make banana Shaak
1. Heat the olive oil and then add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, sweet neem leaves and asafetida
2. After the seeds have popped, add the blended tomatoes and chilli and let it cook for 2 minutes
3. Then add the banana, turmeric powder, salt and dried coriander powder and mix gently
4. After a few minutes add the chopped coriander and turn the heat off
5. Put some sweet and savoury banana on a plate, alongside the wrap and enjoy
Serve with rice, Rotli (also known as Chapati) or even, enjoy on its own.