Recipe: Salted Caramel Peanut Butter Truffles
I've made these treats a few times now. They're easy to make, it doesn't take long, and they're simply delicious!
This recipe makes about 16 Truffles - this will vary according to the size of the Truffles made.
Ingredients for vegan Salted Caramel Peanut Butter Truffles
- 1 pound or 1 and a 1/2 cups (packed) of pitted dates
- 2.5 tablespoons of melted coconut oil - DIVIDED
- 3/4 teaspoons of sea salt
- 1/4 of a cup of salted peanut butter - I've used creamy peanut butter so far but I plan to experiment with crunchy peanut butter soon
- 1 heaped cup of vegan dark chocolate chips
How to make vegan Salted Caramel Peanut Butter Truffles
- Put the dates and 1 tablespoon of melted coconut oil in the blender and mix
- If it’s not quite combining, drizzle in warm water a little at a time (about 1 teaspoon), scrape down sides and blend until a rough paste or ball forms - if you add too much water it will be difficult to handle them later as they won’t freeze up well
- Add the sea salt and blend again - taste and adjust if need be
- Use an ice-cream scoop, melon baller or a tablespoon to create small balls of the mix
- Put them on a baking tray which has been lined with greaseproof paper and put them in the freezer whilst you do the next step - or put them in cupcake cases
- Put the peanut butter and 1/2 a tablespoon of coconut oil in a bowl or pan and melt it on the cooker or in a microwave
- Drizzle the warmed peanut butter on the truffles and freeze for about 10 - 15 minutes
- Put the chocolate chips and remaining 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a pan or bowl and melt it
- Remove truffles from freezer and, use a fork to scoop truffles in to the pan/bowl, so that it's coated in chocolate, then hold it above the pan/bowl to ensure that any excess drips off, before putting it on the greaseproof paper again - I rolled them around in the chocolate to ensure even coverage
- Put them back in freezer to set
Serving - Serve the truffles straight from the freezer, but if they've been in the freezer for a day or longer, take out the number of Truffles that you are going eat and allow them to soften for about 10 - 15 minutes, before biting into them.
Storage - they can be stored in the freezer for at least 2 weeks if not longer - ours didn't last longer than that!
Optional - Sprinkle a small amount of sea salt on the truffles before freezing them for the final time
Variations - when I made them again, I put them in disposable cupcake cases, which was easier and neater. I've now purchased reusable cupcake cases to do this in the future.
Adapted from Minimalist Baker