Recipe: Butter Beans Shaak (curry) within 15 minutes
This Shaak is simple, filling and quick to make. It involves minimal preparation and tastes delicious.
This recipe serves 2.
Ingredients for butter beans Shaak
• 1 (240g) can of butter beans or use dried butter beans which would need to be soaked for 12 hours, the water drained and then boiled in fresh water
• 2 tomatoes - blended
• 1 fresh chilli – blended
• 3/4 of a tablespoon of sunflower oil or olive oil
• 1/2 a teaspoon of mustard seeds
• 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
• 2 sweet neem leaves
• 1 pinch of asafetida
• 1 pinch of turmeric powder
• salt to taste
• 1 teaspoon of dried coriander powder
• 1 handful of freshly chopped coriander
• 6 wholemeal mini wraps
How to make butter beans Shaak
1. Heat the oil in a pan and then add the mustard seeds, cumin, sweet neem leaves and asafetida
2. After the seeds have popped add the tomatoes and chilli
3. After a 2 minutes, add the butter beans, turmeric powder, salt and dried coriander powder
4. After 3 minutes add the chopped coriander, stir and let it cook for 5 - 7 minutes
5. Fold each mini wraps in half and serve the butter beans alongside it
We enjoyed this with mini wraps. It can also be eaten with rice or Rotli.